Born 1936, in Aberdeen, Washington
Trisha Brown was an original member of the Judson Church, and founded the internationally acclaimed Trisha Brown Dance Company in 1970. She has spent her life working at the crossroads of dance, performance and visual art, collaborating with sculptors, painters and filmmakers. An exhibition celebrating these achievements was organized by the Addison Gallery of American Art in September 2002. Brown is the first female choreographer to receive a MacArthur Foundation Fellowship (1991), and she has been recognized both by the National Endowment for the Arts, and The John Simon Guggenheim Fellowship (1975; 1984). In 1988, the French government named her "Chevalier dans l’ordre des Arts et des lettres," and in 2000, she was elevated to "Officier dans l’ordre des Arts et des letters."